Monday

Na Na Na, Na Na Na Na, Na Na Na Na, Hey Jude

On Sunday I spent some time with a boy named Jude, who could make any sad song in the world better. I began this Sunday by attending the 10:00 Matins at Westminster Abbey. Westminster is one of the oldest churches in England. It has been the official coronation church since 1066 when William the Conqueror was crowned. Before 1066 there was no fixed place for the coronation ceremony. The most recent coronation was that of Queen Elizabeth II on 2 June 1953. Westminster is also the burial site for the country’s legendary kings and queens. Their monuments are intertwined with those of many other famous leaders, artists and intellectuals including Geoffrey Chaucer, Winston Churchill, Oliver Cromwell, Lewis Carroll, Charles Darwin, Charles Dickens, Frances Burney, George Fredric Handel, Ben Johnson, Sir Isaac Newton, Edmund Spenser –just to name a few. It might sound a bit morbid but it really was a beautiful experience to be able to walk through the church and see the resting places of these great people. The best part of going to church, however, was hearing the Choir of Westminster Abbey. They were phenomenal. I will probably go back next Sunday just to hear it again.



Although Westminster was a wonderful experience, it isn’t the event I was referring to in my previous post. Soon after we got to London, I found out that Shakespeare’s Hamlet was currently running at the Donmar West End at Wyndham’s Theatre. So Saturday, I went over to the theatre to see if they had any tickets still available and they just had some come up on the second row of the “Royal Circle.” Needless to say, I purchased them. Now, in addition to it being one of my favorite Shakes plays, the role of Hamlet was being played by one of my favorite actors…okay…wait for it…JUDE LAW. Yes, that’s right. I saw Hamlet, staring Jude Law yesterday afternoon. I got to spend 3 whole hours looking at him from the second row. That in itself was worth going; however, he surprisingly is an exceptional stage actor. Also in the show was Kevin R. McNally, who played Gibbs in Pirates of the Caribbean movies, as Claudius. Peter Eyre, who doubled as the ghost of King Hamlet and the player King in young Hamlet’s play, was my second favorite actor in the performance, but no doubt Jude was the best. I am still giddy about the whole experience. As of now, it is almost 1:00 and I am off to the City of London Museum so I will leave you all to reflect on Jude Law and how I am the luckiest girl in the world…well, almost. I haven’t married him yet ;)


Cheerio, y'all.

4 comments:

  1. you can't marry jude because i want to marry him as does half the female population on the planet.....glad you enjoyed his performance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sara, what an experience!!! I am sure it was thrilling...especially with Jude there. When I was in college I loved reading Willy the Shake once I got used to his lingo. Genius is too mild a word.....but don't know if I would understand it as well now. You get out of practice. I really do want to see your pics when you get back to the states.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey, pat said bring back a british man... i'll say jude is definitley of my top 5!!! :) i miss you, and you sound like you are having a blast. You need to blog more your writing is interesting

    ReplyDelete
  4. I seriously CANNOT believe the fate you had of getting to see Juse Law!!! I'm so glad you're having a blast!

    ReplyDelete